We have a finally have a final estimated budget for the Kickstarter campaign, the final calculations being the cost of postage and packaging – how much is it going to cost us and whether we should charge extra on top of the rewards price or absorb the costs into the rewards for the backers. The postage alone worked out at eating into nearly 5% of the budget if we don’t charge extra for postage – that’s on top of the 14% cost of the rewards and the 8% that Kickstarter takes, so we’re going to go with adding the cost to the backers . For the time being we’ve decided to go for an average flat rate shipping worldwide – so everyone will pay the same wherever they are.
I’m still working away on the graphics for the kickstarter page, but in the meantime Michelle can now start looking at the production side of the film, mainly budget and shooting location, which is going to be one of the most expensive elements – either finding a wooden cabin interior location, or building a set. We also need to get a production designer onboard so we can get start getting their input. I’ve done a first quick pass on the budget, as well as a go at a script breakdown for potential schedule, list of props etc that will feed into the budgeting process. Michelle’s now researching studios, and has already found a potential cabing interior standing set that might work. In the next couple of weeks we’re also planning to meet up with a casting director, an potential actor for the role of Tony Genova.
Michelle and I managed to grab an impromptu meeting together when I was up in London for a job interview that turned into a job that afternoon. First on the agenda was a trip to a bookshop on Charing Cross Road to take a look at a potential book that we might be able to use as a prop for The Naughty List book in the film.
We thought it was so ridiculously big that it might actually work, if we could find a way to make it light enough for the actor to hold. But when I went back the next day to buy it, someone had beaten me too it. Maybe that was a sign it was a little too big…
I’ve also made a start on the storyboarding. The sooner I can get that done, the sooner we can start getting that out to specific crew for feedback on budget items. After that I’ll record voicevers and start editing together an animatic, which again will go out to crew and potential cast. If I have time I’ll try and do some previs as well.